Thursday 14 January 2010

I would like to start this post by offering my sympathy and [atheist] prayers to the people who have been affected by the recent earthquake in Haiti. I'm going to donate some money later on, and I hope it goes some way to the recovery that will happen over the weeks, months, and years that go by.
But there are two major points to this blog post today.

Firstly, I want to express my DISGUST at Pat Robertson. After the disaster in Haiti, this televangelist [who I would prefer to call a televasshole] declared that Haiti had signed a pact with the devil, and this was their curse for it. Now, I know that religion has had run ins with political correctness in the past, but surely, even someone as thick as three short planks would realise that it's the wrong thing to say, and the wrong time to say it.
But then again, this IS the man who predicted a year of global violence in 2008, stated that the USA would be hit by storms placed by god, and declared that the world would end in 1982 [Ironically, a statement that he addressed on twitter recently, by saying: "People sometimes laugh at me for predicting Doomsday would be in 1982. They just MISHEARD. I ACTUALLY said 2012."]
I took pride in writing the gag “There are various differences between Russell Brand and @ThePatRobertson, of course: one of them won't stop talking shit, and the other's Russell Brand.” A bit harsh, perhaps, but if you look at Robertson’s twitter feed, I think you’ll see what I mean.

Secondly, I want to express my disgust at NBC. I’m not American, nor am I a Late Night TV host [even though, in some stupid way I dream to be], and I am not an avid watcher of Conan O’Brien. But I feel that NBC have been quite rude and immature in their dealings with O’Brien, and with Late Night in general. The show has been on air for little more than 7 months. Everyone concurred that the predecessor in the timeslot, Jay Leno, was slowly petering out, and O’Brien really was the right man for the job. In many ways, he still is, with Jay Leno failing in his primetime slot, and being rendered by many as unfunny.
Even though I’m more a fan of the Scottish Conan Guy rather than the Actual Conan Guy, I have to say that I support Conan O’Brien in his statement. Should the “Tonight Show” be moved to 12.05AM, it’ll be the first time in its history to do so, and, as reflected by O’Brien in his statement, would disgrace the name of the show and its former hosts.
NBC, it’s been seven months. SEVEN. Conan was hugely successful, but it always takes time to build a rapport with a new show. As I said, I am not a late night presenter, nor am I an entertainer or someone in a line of work where people actually give a crap. But I do know what it feels like to do your job while the management watches you like a hawk, and threatens to throw you out the door before you’ve had the chance to prove yourself. So please, stop bickering, give the man what he wants, and more importantly, GIVE HIM A CHANCE.

0 comments:

Post a Comment